advanced dementia awareness sheffield rotherham doncaster. improve wellbeing communication and dementia

Advanced Dementia Awareness

Course Duration:

Full day (6 hours)

Course Outline:

There will be 1 million people with dementia in the UK by 2025 and currently only 39% of people with dementia over the age of 65 are living in care homes. The other 61% of people with dementia are living in the community (dementiastatistics.org, 2018) so it is getting even more important for a wider range of people to understand how to care for those with dementia.

This one day advanced course addresses how to identify and diagnose dementia, examines person-centred approaches in detail and gives advice on how to help the individual with dementia maintain their skills and abilities for as long as possible. Attendees can learn more about how to provide high quality care for individuals with dementia that improves well-being. The course has a strong focus on communication.

Benefits of attending:

  • Learn how to identify the likely signs and symptoms of dementia and how it progresses
  • You will be able to explain why every individual’s experience of dementia is unique and provide care appropriately
  • You will understand the importance of working in a person-centred way and improve well-being
  • Improve communication with the individuals you support and understand how they are feeling, and their needs and preferences
  • Gain proactive support and solutions for challenging behaviours
  • Help support the individuals you care for to maintain their skills and abilities for as long as possible
  • Enable individuals with dementia to feel valued and maintain a sense of well being
  • Know how to engage with and support families to improve the quality of life for the individuals with dementia

What this course covers:

  • The physical effects of dementia on the different areas of the brain and how it is categorised into stages
  • Kitwood’s theory and how this can be applied
  • Indicators of ill-being and well-being and how to apply person-centred approaches
  • Knowing why life stories are important and how and why each person's experience with dementia is unique
  • How an individual with dementia communicates their needs and preferences
  • Different communication skills and the role behaviour plays in communication 
  • Ways of supporting individuals with dementia to maintain their skills and abilities for as long as possible
  • How to engage and reflect on relationships between families and staff

Who is this course for?

Whether you’re supporting individuals in care homes or look after a family member or friend, and already have an awareness of Dementia, then this course offers you the chance to gain a deeper understanding of dementia and improve your communication with the individuals that you support.

If you have already attended an awareness course, this is the natural follow up and progression course to go to for more detail and depth. It is most appropriate for those who spend a proportion of their time working directly with people with dementia.

Certification

Upon completion of the full day course, attendees will receive a certificate of attendance


Reviews

One of the best training sessions I have been on. Very useful for my job role
— S.F @ The White House Care Home Attended May 2018
A lot of food for thought, very informative and instructor very knowledgeable but accessible and imparted her experience in a very compassionate way. Would recommend the training to anyone
— K.L @ Pennington Court - Attended September 2016
The tutors passion for the care of people with dementia shone through. Very motivating and thought provoking. Thank you!
— D.H - Attended November 2016

Other Dementia Courses:


How to Contact us

1. Call 0114 2472772
or
2. Complete the Enquiry Form below:
Name *
Name